VAT Relief Declaration
Who Qualifies for VAT Relief?
- adjustable beds
- medical appliances to help with severe injuries
- braille paper or low vision aids - but not spectacles or contact lenses
- motor vehicles - or the leasing of a Motability vehicle
- building work like ramps, widening doors, installing a lift or toilet
To get the product VAT free your disability has to qualify. For VAT purposes, you’re disabled or have a long-term illness if:
- you have a physical or mental impairment that affects your ability to carry out everyday activities, for example blindness
- you have a condition that’s treated as chronic sickness, like diabetes
- you’re terminally ill
You don’t qualify if you’re elderly but able-bodied, or if you’re temporarily disabled.
You’ll need to confirm in writing that you meet these conditions. Your supplier may give you a form to state your name and illness after your purchase.